Drawing is an ESSENTIAL skill an artist needs to master.
Drawing is everything. Whether you are an illustrator, painter, animator, character designer, vis dev artist, comic book artist, or anything in between, your success hinges on your ability to draw. In this class, I will help you establish strong, indispensable fundamentals to help you quickly make progress with the most important aspects of your art.
If you are a pure beginner, or someone with a little bit of experience, this is the course for you!
Each chapter in this class will present drawing lessons that were essential to my own learning - allowing me to draw everything from characters, to environments and backgrounds. It will be like a road map, highlighting each important stop on my own route to becoming a professional artist. I will be teaching through the lens of how I learned the concepts when I was a beginner artist, with insights into how I still use them today.
The concepts and fundamentals will be shown both in a theoretical way using lectures and deconstruction of artworks, and then immediately applied to real-world uses, as I draw through many demonstrations. The demonstrations also act as homework assignments, as they are specifically targeted to drill the principles and fundamentals presented.
Why draw? I want to paint!
In short: painting is drawing. Drawing is the foundation of representational art, be it stylized/cartoony, or realistic. Drawing is the realm of gesture, shape, form, and design. As a professional artist of >15 years, when I paint, the #1 thing I'm thinking about in my head is drawing, often using principles I learned in my first year as a student! With the tools in this class, you will not only be able to draw better, but your paintings will automatically get elevated, too!
What you'll get out of the class:
- Learn how to capture life in your drawing
- Obtain all the essential fundamentals you need, and a way to see like an artist
- Insight into how nature works, in both volume and shape
- Tools and fundamentals for figures, characters, and backgrounds
- A method of building your drawing up in stages, from gesture, to 3D form, to final lines and shapes
- How to determine what is essential to capture quickly, vs what can be developed or added later
- A way of determining what is important vs. what isn't
- A method of practicing fundamentals separately, for on-the-go learning, as well as how to eventually combine them for more advanced study
- Solid tools and practices that will form the foundation of your paintings and color work as well
- In the modern world of AI generated images, these are tools and lessons that will help your work stand apart, ultimately allowing you to do what an AI can't! This will not only elevate your artwork, but also make you far more hirable, if your goal is to work professionally
Digital Download Info
How do Digital Downloads work?
Upon purchase you will immediately be emailed a PDF file containing the necessary links to access your courses. All classes are hosted through Dropbox.
Do the links expire?
Can I stream the classes?
Yes, Dropbox supports streaming.
Can I download the classes to my hard drive?
Yes, the files are yours to download. Though I kindly ask that you do not share the files with others on the internet. For one, it is illegal to do so, and second, doing that reduces my ability to produce high-quality lessons. Thank you very much for helping prevent piracy!
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.