Using 3D Techniques with Digital Painting
In today's competitive world of concept art and illustration, the boundaries between 3D and 2D are becoming ever more blurred. It is often expected of 2D artists to have some degree of familiarity with 3D tools and processes. At the very least, understanding some basic 3D tools can really help you reach a higher creative potential.
This video class will teach you fundamental skills needed to integrate Blender - an industry standard 3D software - into your 2D workflow. It comes in three chapters:
Chapter 1: Blender Essentials. Marco will introduce and explain all the 3D tools necessary to follow the tutorials. A great way to introduce yourself to the software!
Chapter 2: A project that combines elements made with basic 3D modeling, grease pencil, texturing, lighting and rendering, with digitally hand-painted 2D scenery and characters. The result is a 2D digital painting aesthetic, but with real 3D depth.
Chapter 3: A project that uses a modern day Hollywood '2.5D' matte painting technique. Intermediate 3D modeling, combined with sophisticated camera projection mapping UV tools and digital painting to create a unique and dazzling cinematic blend of 2D and 3D.
- Great for beginner users of Blender, or beginners to 3D in general!
- Course uses Blender 2.8 - the latest release of the software
- Using Blender's Grease Pencil as a bridge from 3D over to the realm of 2D illustration and digital painting, opening up many creative possibilities
- Preparing elements in 3D with basic UV texture mapping, lighting and rendering
- Bringing your painting together in Photoshop with regular digital painting techniques. Full painting process shown, with discussions of fundamentals (light, color, value, composition, etc.) used throughout the process, as well as many other related thoughts along the way
- Using digital brushwork to eliminate the sterile '3D look'
- Using ambient occlusion and shadow render passes to aid in the digital painting process
- Using layers to help keep your process organized
- Compositing elements back together for a final, striking image - all within Blender
- All project files included
- Digital brushpack included
Approximately 8 hours, 30 mins of 1080p video
Have any questions? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org